© Collingbourne Ducis Parish Council 2020
COLLINGBOURNE DUCIS PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD REMOTELY (via Zoom) AT 7.00 pm. ON THURSDAY 9 th JULY 2020 Present: Cllrs P Knowlson (Chairman), P Hartley (Vice Chairman) L Gomes, K Cockerton, D Dennis and M White. In Attendance: Mr P Gill (Clerk), Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling and two Members of the Public Apologies: Cllr S Batley 1. 13.20 Explanation and Protocol. The Chairman explained that on 4th April 2020 the Government introduced The Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 which allows local councils to meet remotely. These regulations apply to meetings held before 7th May 2021. In order to meet the regulations, the following conditions must be satisfied. Members in remote attendance must be able: to hear, and where practicable see, and be so heard and, where practicable, be seen by, the other members in attendance, to hear, and where practicable see, and be so heard and, where practicable, be seen by, any members of the public entitled to attend the meeting in order to exercise a right to speak at the meeting, and to be so heard and, where practicable, be seen by any other members of the public attending the meeting. He then explained the protocol for the meeting as follows: The way of the public accessing the meeting was explained on the published agenda and that the same standards of behaviour are applied to this meeting as to physical meetings. Members, officers and members of the public are asked to be patient with those who are less experienced in such meetings. Those in attendance are asked to physically raise their hands when they wish to speak. It is possible that the meeting will be recorded (via the video conferencing platform itself). This is to aid the writing of minutes in a situation where the minute-taker is involved with technical aspects of the meeting as well as for openness and transparency. The usual public participation session will take place including those written questions that have been submitted to the Clerk up to 48 hours before the meeting commenced. Members of the public are reminded that the Council cannot make any decisions on matters that do not appear on the agenda. If members of the public have questions about matters not on the agenda, they are requested to contact the Council outside of the meeting. The meeting host may remove anyone from the meeting who is being intentionally disruptive, using offensive language or incessantly interrupting the meeting proceedings. 1. Apologies. None 1. 14.20 Declarations of Interest and dispensation requests. None declared. 1. 15.20 Co-Options. None received. 1. 16.20 Minutes of the last meeting. Having reviewed the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 14 May 2020 Cllrs RESOLVED to accept the minutes as a true and accurate record of the meeting and for the Chairman to sign them after the meeting. 17.20. Matters arising. None that do not appear on the agenda. 1. 18.20 Adoption of Standing Orders and Financial Regulations. These were reviewed and adopted at the last meeting. 1. 19.20 Adjournment for public comments/questions: 7.15pm. Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling reported the following: Finance – Wiltshire Council has been clear about the financial pressures from the Covid crisis and although Government has released additional emergency funding for local authorities, Wiltshire Council’s latest projections show that this has significantly reduced the chances of issuing a section 114 notice, but there are still challenges ahead. However, we are leading on the recovery from COVID-19 and are working hard to ensure we have the right resources in the right areas to help the county get back strongly on its feet. Not as drastic as it could have been but still very challenging into the future. Organisation and Direction – Since March we have been in what is known as ‘Response’ and Wiltshire Council has taken its place in the Local Response Forum (LRF), which covers all Wiltshire (including Swindon) includes all the relevant organisations and has been chaired by the Chief Constable of Wiltshire. We are now preparing for the imminent ‘Recovery’ phase in which Wiltshire Council and Swindon Borough Council each assume the leadership of their separate groups. The ‘Response’ phase will continue in parallel until complete. Anticipating this our leadership structure has changed and since Mon 4 Jul we have a single CEO (Terence Herbert – formerly CEO People). Cabinet has been reduced and refocussed with the loss of one Cabinet member and a number of Portfolio Holders. Leisure and Libraries have been added to my portfolio. Infection Rates and Control – Statistics and stories abound regarding our infection levels. In Wiltshire, there have now been 1239 people who have tested positive for COVID-19. Our rate of positive cases is 248.8 per 100,000 population which is still lower than that seen in England which is 438.5 per 100,000 population. Up to the 19th June, 357 registered deaths involving Covid-19 in all settings in Wiltshire had occurred. Wiltshire Council has developed plans to ensure effective local outbreak management of COVID-19 – These are in place. Leisure Centres and Libraries - We have plans for the reopening of our leisure centres, but still need permission and guidance from Government. We are now permitted to open libraries, but as this requires substantial changes to their operation and a consultation is underway and already has huge interest. HRCs – Booking system is working well and we now permit 2 people to assist with unloading. Some may suggest that some form of hybrid booking and free access system should continue into the future. Planning. Area planning meetings are now up and running. Cllrs noted the report and asked a number of questions for clarity. Cllr Hartley reported that he had reported the poor state of the entrance of the Knapp to Wiltshire Council, but it appears it is not a priority as it is not sitting on the A338 itself and the Chairman asked Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling to follow this up as it appears that the status quo is showing a complete lack of investment in this area of our village. Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling explained the current situation regarding highway maintenance and asked Cllr Hartley to email him the report reference in order that he could check when the work might be carried out. Action Cllr Hartley & Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling Cllr Dennis asked for an update on the enforcement action on Bales Yard which Wilts Cllr Blair-Billing agreed to provide in due course. Action: Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling. Two Members of the Public spoke in support of request for parking for Poplar Row Cottages which is on the agenda at item 23.20. Cllrs noted the support. Meeting reconvened at 7.40pm 1. 20.20 Finance Report. The Clerk presented the Income and Expenditure report for July along with Bank Reconciliations produced from the accounts package and the latest bank statements. Cllrs Members noted the report and reconciliations. The following Bills and cheques were presented and authorised for payment: BACS WALC (Annual Subs 1 Apr 20) £350.94 (VAT £58.49) BACS JRC Cleaning Svcs (Bus Shelters 13 May 20) £28.00 (VAT £4.67) BACS 0910 Idverde (Fell 5 x Conifers 20 May 20) £ 1980.00 (VAT £ 330.00) BACS 4010 (Insurance 1 Jun 20) £1178.32 BACS P Gill (Clerk’s Sal & Exps May 20) £401.58 BACS HMRC (Clerk’s PAYE May 20) £88.60 DD ICO (Registration Fee 31 May 20) £35.00 1819 Landmarc Sp Svcs (Church Farm ROW 1 Jun 20) £40.00 1820 P Gill (Clerk’s Sal & Exps 9 Jun 20) £401.58 1821 HMRC (HMRC Clerk’s PAYE 9 Jun 20) £88.60 1822 SEN (Recreation Gd Electric 9 Jun 20) £8.66 (VAT £0.41) 1823 Idverde Ltd (Gds Maint & Bins 12 Jun 20) 548.70 (VAT £81.45) 1824 P Gill (Green Bin Charge 17 Jun 20) £50.00 Having considered the bills and cheques presented above Cllrs RESOLVED to and authorise them for payment. Action: Clerk Projects. Cllr Hartley report the following: Book Exchange. We have received the £1166 from Tesco I propose installation in Mar 21 to coincide with the next world book day; the proposed location remains the old Telephone box site opposite the Tipple. Due to the Tesco funding, this project should fall under budget. Cllrs noted the report. Action Cllr Hartley Storage. I submitted the funding request for £2000 to support our purchase and installation of the ISO container for PC equipment - in the application I majored on the fact that this storage would provide the PC the ability to store emergency equipment in the case of Flood or Snow, reducing the Villages reliance on Blue Light Services. Cllrs noted the report. Action: Cllr Hartley Recreation Ground Equipment. I haven’t got round to buying the felt for the hut and pirate ship yet - this will be done this month. As part of this I will go up and Weed the Pirate ship - I’ll advertise when I do this on what’s app if anyone wishes to help. Cllrs noted the report. Action: Cllr Hartley Bus Shelter - I note on the Council Budget, the Bus Shelter has been placed as an anticipated expenditure for this FY. This is wrong and needs removing, it was always the intention that quotes for the bus shelter and Footpath would be obtained prior to next year’s elections but not to financially commit until the new PC are in place. Having considered this point Cllrs RESOLVED that Cllr Hartley was to forge ahead with the scoping of this project for the time being but not to make any financial commit and to report back to at the next meeting at which point a decision on go or no go in this FY is to be considered. Action: Cllr Hartley Projects Footpath - linked to my point above about timelines, I have not proceeded further with this yet. I believe the next steps are: Approach Wiltshire Rights Of Way formally to articulate our view that the path needs repairing and it is their responsibility and in anticipation of a “we have no money response” and then be prepared to respond back with a “without liability we will look at repairing it ourselves option”. Get some quotes for both spot and full repairs which Cllr Dennis is arranging and then wait until March 21 when the TAB may be attempting spend its outstanding FY allocation whilst also seeking other funding options Having considered Cllr Hartley’s Cllrs RESOLVED to authorise Cllr Hartley to procced with the next steps as set out in his report and for him to report back to the next meeting and to report back to at the next meeting at which point a decision on go or no go in this FY is to be considered. . Action: Cllrs Hartley & Dennis. (After Note. Cllr White agreed to assist Cllr Hartley with the above projects) Grants. No grant requests received. 9. 21.20 Planning Report: 20/03688/FUL. Change of use and conversion of agricultural barn to form 1 no. dwelling. Change of use of agricultural store to ancillary residential storage at Sunton Farm, The Cottage, Sunton, Collingbourne Ducis, SN8 3DY. 20/04645/TCA - Tree works - 3 x Conifer trees – fell; 1 x Cherry tree - reduce height at Summerdale Cottage, 54 High Street. 20/04138/LBC - Removal of internal wall and raised floor on ground floor at 86 Sunton, SN8 3DZ. Having previously considered the applications Cllrs RESOLVED not make any comment. Action: Cllr Gomes 10. 22.20 Play Areas. Having reviewed and considered the current legislation and advice issued by NALC in conjunction with a written recommendation made by Cllr Hartley earlier circulated to Cllrs recommending the opening of the Play Areas and associated equipment following a detailed Covid 19 risk assessment to be carried out by Cllr Hartley Cllrs RESOLVED to open the play area on Monday 13 Jul 20 with clear signage with responsibility placed on users to disinfect themselves with a weekly disinfection, by us to add an additional layer of protection. Action: Cllr Hartley 11. 23.20 Parking for Poplar Row Cottages. Having considered in some detail a request from a resident of Poplar Row Cottages for the Council to lease or sell land to residents of Poplar Row Cottages for parking and having taken into account the comments made the Members of the Public at Item 19.20 and the pros and cons as viewed by the Council including road safety, costs, appearance, alternative locations and possible income to the Council Cllrs RESOLVED not to lease or sell land to the residents of Poplar Row Cottages for parking. However, although Cllrs were of the opinion that it would be unlikely that Wilts Council would grant planning permission for the land to be used for parking the Council would not stand in the way of the residents if they applied for planning permission but in principle the Council would not support the application. 12. 24.20 Speed Indicator Devices (SIDs). Cllr Knowlson reported that Collingbourne Kingston had purchased 2 SIDS and asked Cllrs to reconsider purchasing 2 SIDs. Having considered purchasing two SIDs Cllrs RESOLVED to wait for evidence from Speed Watch activity (See Item 25.20 below) in order to inform the Council’s deliberations. In the meantime, the Chairman is to write to the main HGV users of the A338 requesting assistance with funding of Road Safety Signage/ SIDs/ Traffic Calming Equipment. Moreover, the Chairman agreed to circulate a draft of his letter to Cllrs Circulate prior to it being sent and Cllr Hartley to speak to CK regarding dual use of their devices. Action: Chairman & Cllr Hartley 13. 25.20 Speed Watch. Cllr Hartley reported no change, still waiting on a date that training will resume from Wiltshire Police. As restrictions continue to ease, I hope that it is sooner rather than later. Cllrs noted the report. 14. 26.20. Complaints. No complaints received. 15. 27.20 Date and location of next meeting. The date of the next meeting was confirmed as 3 September 2020 at 7.00 pm. The meeting closed at 20.35.pm Signed: Chairman: Date: