03 June 2019 Mr Philip Gill MBE JP Thistle House 10 Foxtail Gardens Ludgershall Andover Hants SP11 9TB
Electoral Services County Hall Bythesea Road Trowbridge Wiltshire BA14 8JN
Dear Mr Gill MBE JP Casual Vacancy - Collingbourne Ducis Parish I   refer   to   your   notification   of   a   vacancy   and   enclose   a   copy   of   the   statutory   Notice   of   Vacancy. The   Notice may   be   copied   as   required   but   must   be   displayed   in   a   prominent   position   within   the   Parish   of   Collingbourne Ducis. An   election   to   fill   the   vacancy   will   be   held   if   TEN   electors   from   the   Parish   of   Collingbourne   Ducis   write   to   the Returning   Officer   by   27   June,   2019   asking   for   an   election   to   be   held. If   an   election   is   not   requested   by   that date,   then   the   Parish   Council   must   fill   the   vacancy   by   co-option   as   soon   as   practicable. I   will   write   to   you again   after   27   June,   2019   to   let   you   know   whether   there   will   be   an   election,   or   whether   the   Parish   Council may co-opt to fill the vacancy. Finally, as part of the 2015/16 budget-making process, the council has resolved to recharge the cost of parish council elections back to parish councils. The precise cost to each council is hard to estimate, as it depends on a number of variable factors such as electorate size, the number of postal voters and the number of polling stations.   An election in a large town ward, for example, could easily cost £5,000 upwards, but in a small rural parish it could be very much less. Election fees are limited by a scale of fees approved by the council, and this was last reviewed in 2013.   Town and Parish Councils must consider whether they wish to request poll cards for each by-election as costs are now recharged to town and parish councils.  It has become common practice to send poll cards for all elections as this promotes more democratic engagement.  However, this will be an area for your Town/Parish Council to consider when a vacancy occurs and more appropriately, if an election is triggered.   Poll cards need to be prepared about the same time the Notice of Election is published. This is so they can be printed and posted as soon as possible to enable electors to be notified of the statutory deadlines if they wish to change their voting methods. If an election is requested Electoral Services will send parish councils a form to complete and return indicating their decision on poll cards.  You may wish to have a council resolution in place delegating power to an individual to make that decision, or a blanket decision on whether or not poll cards are produced. Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Yours sincerely Tia Jones Electoral Services Officer Telephone: 0300 456 0112 Email: elections@wiltshire.gov.uk Enc